Can a store associate stop a customer? 8 Answers as of December 17, 2013

I visited a Fry's store this morning, and was accused of stealing an item. The self check-out clerk came out to the parking lot, shouted “Ma’am, you didn’t pay for that!” I turned to see the commotion, and she said “the crystals, you didn’t pay for that.” I said “excuse me?” I opened my bag to see if indeed there was a mistake, and without asking my permission she looked inside of my bag to count my items. I indeed paid for my items, showing I had two receipts with purchases on them. She then just turned and walked away. Most importantly, unapologetic about her accusation. Just left me standing in front of the store, with my bag open. Did this associate show correct behavior, and is this protocol for questioning customer, and accuse them of stealing?

Well they may be sued for stopping you without probable cause.
What exactly are you looking for?
It may not illegal, but it is definitely bad manners. You may want to send a complaint to the company.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
This is not something that you would have any legal recourse on, but something you should bring up to management, and if you don't like the response, I would suggest not going to that business.
What do you want? What are your actual damages? The clerk was ill mannered and impolite and should have apologized. Relate the incident to the store manager. shop somewhere else.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes. There is a statute that permits it.
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    Store employees can briefly detain a customer if they suspect the person of shoplifting.
    It is up to the policies of each individual store as to how they deal with suspected shoplifters. Each store is different. They do have authority under the law with the shopkeeper's privilege to detain suspected shoplifters until police arrive.