Can a state take personal assets if our company owes taxes? How? 18 Answers as of July 27, 2015

Can the state take personal assets from us for a company that we owned that owes the state? The company was a corporation. Thanks.

Not unless the state pierces the corporate veil or the assets appear to be used in the business.
YES because taxes as owed.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
It depends on your corporate structure and the ability to pierce the corporation. I am an employment attorney and don't do this type of work.
It depends on the type of taxes. Taxes that the corporation collects from others (employee withholding and sales taxes, for example) may be collected from the owners of a small corporation. Taxes imposed on the corporation itself (property taxes and income taxes) cannot be collected from the owners.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
This is obviously not a personal injury matter. I don't practice much tax law, but elementary corporate law is that actions of corporate personnel bring liability to those individuals and the corporate and the corporate veil can be pierced where shareholders disregard its formalities.
    If the company was properly incorporated and not used for fraudulent purposes, the only assets that can be taken are those put into the corporation.
    Andrew Gordon
    Andrew Gordon | Andrew Gordon
    Yes, in some cases the State can assess a personal penalty on behalf of the corporation. I would suggest retaining a tax attorney to assist in resolving this situation.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    The state can pursue the owners personally if the state determines that the corporation was a mere shell or alter ego of the owners. This usually happens in the cases where, in reality, the corporation is nothing more than a sole proprietorship or partnership in name only.
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Yes, they generally start with liens against your bank accounts.
    Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
    There can be personal liability to the state and the IRS for sales taxes, withholding taxes and a portion of employment taxes. It is called by various names including the "responsible person" penalty if the tax is not paid over by the corporation. The definition of responsible person focuses on the persons who paid other creditors rather than the state or IRS.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    You generally are not liable for your corporation's debts. But there are exceptions, such as unpaid payroll taxes, etc. I do not have enough facts to answer your question.
    You ran a company, you owe taxes, and now you are looking for freebies on the 'net. Wow.
    Generally, the owners of a corporation are personally liable for certain taxes, such as withholding taxes and Unemployment Compensation. There is more than one way of approaching the problem of tax claims which are too high for you to pay. You could consider filing an Offer in Compromise, for example. Discuss the problem with a CPA who specializes in taxes. Good Luck.
    Consult a tax lawyer and/or your accountant. Good luck.
    Commonly yes as there is officer's liability.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Depends but the question is whether the amount of money they levied justifies hiring and attorney to argue about it?
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Was your company a corporation? I think you need to talk to your corporate lawyer or your tax advisor. If I am an employee of a company, not an officer or director, the company's debts, including taxes, are not mine. But if I am running a company like it is my own toy, and am using company assets to buy personal stuff, then the personal stuff is really owned by the company, and therefore is an asset of the company, and can be attached to pay debts.