Can the state really terminate my parental rights? 6 Answers as of April 29, 2014

I was locked up and my kids went to foster care. I am currently out of jail and it has been almost 2 years going to all my appointment and visit one child once a week. I have three. I went to court today and they want to terminate my right, I want my kids back and not willing to give my kids up. Can the state do this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Borzilleri Law Office | Christine Borzilleri
Generally Yes. The state can petition to terminate parental rights if, after a period of time they do not feel that the parent has the ability to be fit and proper to have custody returned to them. There can be many reasons behind their assertion, however if you do not agree to voluntarily terminate your rights/consent to a open adoption, the state must conduct a trial and prove to a judge that their assertion is true. A competent family law attorney who regularly represents clients involved in state care cases should be able to assist you in a trial.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Yes, because you have clearly not been able to care for them for multiple years.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/29/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, if it proves that you are unfit to raise the children. You should have an attorney appointed for you to help you understand the process.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/29/2014
John Russo | John Russo
No they are only joking, of course they can! So you may not have been as cooperative as you claim.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/29/2014
D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC
D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC | Randy Phillips
The state can terminate your rights after a trial before a District judge and he rules such. You have the right to an attorney in such a case. If you can't afford one then the Court will appoint one for you.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    If the children have been out of the home for more than 15 of the last 22 months, they are federally mandated to start termination proceedings if they don' think you will get them returned within the next six months.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: