Can the state finalize my divorce if I don’t sign the paperwork due to religious beliefs? 10 Answers as of February 27, 2014

I don’t believe in divorce because of my beliefs, I feel like if I sign the paperwork it makes me look as if I condone it. Can the state do it for me because of this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
You can be divorced with out signing anything, but you run the risk of paying attorney fees. Just because you do not believe in divorce does not mean you cannot hire a lawyer to defend a divorce.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/27/2014
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
In California you do not need to sign papers to be divorced if you are the respondent. You can oppose the divorce but agree to the remainder of the issues if you want and have the Petitioner prove the divorce in Court. If there are no issues of concern being requested, for example no children or no support or property to divide, then you can default and allow your spouse to get a divorce on their own.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2014
John Russo | John Russo
First you must not live in a no fault jurisdiction since this signing paperwork question is alien to me, in no fault jurisdictions the party's are not required to sign the final judgment, a PSA yes not a final judgment, that is signed by the attorney's and then a judge, but in any event no matter where you live the divorce cannot be denied on religious grounds, there is no overwhelming harm that can been shown by either the state or the individual if the divorce is granted, on the contrary the harm would be to the petitioning party seeking divorce, if you don't believe in divorce then simply do not get married. Objecting to anything on religious grounds is determined by a very narrow standard, you are asking for something after the fact, which cannot be granted on a religious bases do to separation. Simple example; You are drafted into the military , you object to service on religious grounds, The standard is high but if you can show that your objection is truly religious based you could prevail, See, Clay v.U.S. aka Muhammad ALI ; BUT WHAT YOU ARE ASKING IS THIS; You join the military and after a couple of years you want out based on religious grounds, NOT HAPPENING, should have thought of that before you joined. Same thing here, state allows you to marry, state cannot force you to marry, state allows divorce you know that going in, now you want state to deny other party's right to divorce based on your religious beliefs, again, NOT HAPPENING.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 2/27/2014
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
If you do not agree the Judge will schedule a formal trial, you have nothing to sign or agree to.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/27/2014
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
If you were served with the petition the court can proceed to enter a default judgment without your participation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/27/2014
Click to View More Answers: