Can the state's attorney change a charge from an aggravated assault to a domestic charge? Posted on June 26, 2011

My son was charged in Feb. 2011 for an assault, he is pleading not guilty because he was defending himself. He had the arraignment. His lawyer then got a continuance so he could have all the statements transcribed. We then went back to court last Monday June 20 the for a hearing and then we sat at the court house all day on the 21 for a jury draw, then the state decides they need more than one day for the trial because the witness is so long. They have had a list of witnesses since March. The trial was originally scheduled for June 30. So now it is scheduled for July 26 and July 27. The judge stated that if the state is not ready by then he would dismiss the case. Can the state's attorney do this? She was not even in court last week she had an associate there. Seems like she is pissed off because my son will lie down and plead guilty. Our lives have been on hold and in turmoil for almost 6 months now.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: