Can a sponsor a foreign minor in the US? 4 Answers as of August 22, 2011

Is it possible to sponsor a Filipino minor as a student here in the USA? Their family is very poor. What can you tell me about the process, if any, to be a sponsor? The student is currently a Filipino high school student.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
For a student visa, the US consulate must first be satisfied that the student will go back to his/her country. Then the consulate will make sure the student will have enough funds to cover his stay and expenses without having to work. Your sponsorship will do the second if you intend to pay for the expenses.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/22/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, but you need to get an I-20, typically from a private school, and you need to show funds for the child's tuition and living expenses, as well as documenting that the child will return to his home country.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
You will need to find a school that will accept him. Some private schools issue the I-20 immigration document he will need to process the visa. Then, when he processes at the Consulate, you can support him financially to help his case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
A high school can sponsor him with I-20. You should talk to a private high school about enrolling him.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: