Can someone with a felony conviction get a green card? 4 Answers as of June 14, 2011

My husband got a felony in 1998 for selling cocaine (small amount) and was deported. I am a US citizen, we married Apr. 20, 2001. We have two kids. He dosen't have any charges since then. Is there anyway he can get a green card, or reduce his felony charge.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
For even selling a small amount of cocaine, Immigration has no relief. However, if your husband calls me, there may be an alternative, but I need to speak to him for more information. I have been in practice in the immigration field for more than 40 years. I have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me to discuss your case. The assigned number for your free case evaluation: 0613d. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/14/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Maybe. He may be able to have his conviction overturned if he was not advised of the immigration consequences of pleading guilty. Other than that, the nature of his conviction makes it very difficult to obtain any sort of waiver to return to the U.S.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/13/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Truthfully, it is almost impossible to waive a drug-trafficking conviction. You should really look into doing something with the criminal charges. I don't know what state you reside in, but I recommend finding a good criminal lawyer to talk to about it. You will also need to speak with an immigration attorney who specializes in this work to make sure that you make the right changes to the criminal convictions. Possession of cocaine is not enough since there are no waivers for drug offenses, except possession of marijuana with less than 30 grams.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/10/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Selling controlled substance could lead to inadmissible without possibility of waiver. In other word, he can't enter US. The amount of drug is irrelevant.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: