Can someone who overstayed their visa get a US tax refund? Posted on February 26, 2011

I went to the USA with a j1 visa 2 times and the second time I applied for a visa extension changing the status to tourist so it took 2 months to get a denial, by that time my visa was expired a month, so I overstayed close to a year. I was working that time using the social security card and paying taxes. Before coming home I got the w2 form for the tax refund, and I wonder if I can get the tax refund since I overstayed. Is that possible?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: