Can someone who jumped ship while on a seaman visa be granted amnesty in the United States? 5 Answers as of January 27, 2011

Is there a chance that amnesty will be given this year? Should we wait for it or what are the things that we need to do in order to legalize his stay? Thanks.

Amnesty unlikely this year. Whether the seaman qualifies for any other relief is hard to determine without speaking with him to get the facts. If you are interested in scheduling a consultation and learning about fees and procedures contact me as indicated below.
No, with a general election approach in 2012, I doubt that any politician will want to deal with any significant immigration issues, including a general amnesty anytime soon. The ship jumping seaman may want to explore a petition for asylum if he can prove a well grounded fear of persecution in his native land.
Jumping ship will be considered as illegal entering enter without inspection. There is not much can be done unless he has ground for asylum and he has been illegal within one year, generally speaking. Exception exists too. Thus more details are needed for better assessment. You are more than welcome to contact us to discuss your case. Good luck!
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If the person has a C/D or C1/D1 visa as a seaman, then he cannot legalize his stay. The exception is that if someone petitioned him (Form I-130 submitted) on or before April 30, 2001.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
There is no amnesty to be granted at this time. So, I cannot answer this question. It is impossible to speculate about the possibility of an amnesty in the current political climate. At this point, it sounds like there is nothing to be done since for the majority of cases, you need a legal entry to apply for permanent residence.