Can someone who has been deported be held in contempt for not paying child support? 2 Answers as of June 07, 2011

It is concerning the non custodial parent in a child support case that I am fighting here in Texas, The non-custodial parent illegal and deported back to Liberia which is on hold due a civil war there but he can be told to leave any day. Can a person who has been deported from the U.S. to Liberia Africa, be held in contempt of court for non payment of child support in Texas? Second question Can that person also marries legally in the U.S. after he has been declared deported and awaiting deportation? He has also been given a temporary work card while here. Because Liberia is at a civil war and he may never have to leave, the US is not sending anyone there because of this war. He may have to at anytime if the civil war ends. He recently got married also how is this possible if you're deported? He been here illegal for 30+ years his parent brought him in illegally! Can he be forced to pay child support & held in contempt for non-payment of $35,000+ dollars

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
If there is a court order and he failed to obey it, he can be held in contempt. His immigration status has nothing to do with child support or obeying orders. Now, he can defend saying it was legally impossible to comply, but that is a defense, not related to whether or not the charge can be brought. The other questions need to be referred to an immigration attorney. If you need a referral, let me know, I have two I send everyone to.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/7/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
The basis for a deportation is being in the US unlawfully and has nothing to do with his civil status and non-compliance with child support orders. So yes, he can be deported. He has not yet been deported, according to you, he is here in the US. He has an order of deportation. Yes, he can marry.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: