Can someone try to get me to pay child support without a DNA test? 5 Answers as of May 18, 2011

I met a girl a while ago and we made out a few times but did nothing more (aka no intercourse). All of a sudden I start receiving calls from a child support office claiming that I am the father of this girl's child and have to pay child support for her baby. Can they make me pay without a DNA test that proves I am the father of the child? Do I need an attorney to represent me in court?

You need an attorney to represent you before you become the father by court order.
If you are foolish enough to allow the woman to obtain a default on you for your lack of responding, then you might have to pay child support for a child who is not yours biologically. Do not do so. It sounds as though she might have already obtained a default. You need to file an Order to Show Cause right away, and demand a DNA test yourself. This would be a Paternity action. Consult your local Clerk's Office. They have pre-packaged packets of forms. You might also be able to obtain a free consultation with a Court Facilitator, who will help you fill out the forms. There is an old saying: "Equity aids the vigilant, not those who slumber on their rights." Act, and act now. As to hiring an Attorney, well... You did not know any of what I just told you, right? Do you think you or an experienced professional would represent you most effectively?
I don't know whether they can make you pay the cost of the DNA test, but the consequences of refusing to take a DNA test could make you pay child support for 18 years. You would be wise in retaining an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you.
Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller
Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller | Jackie Robert Geller
You have the absolute right to request a DNA test if you dispute paternity. You should have a competent attorney to be your advocate, because if you are found to be the dad, then it's 18 years of child support.
They are not able to establish an order unless you were served with a complaint to establish child support. If you were served and failed to respond, a default can be entered against you which means they don't need genetic testing. If you have not been served with a complaint, then you can request genetic testing. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.