Can someone that has been sponsored (Affidavit Of Support), sponsor me? 2 Answers as of March 13, 2011

My friend just received his green card a few months back, and I also need to be sponsored to changed my legal status. However it has been very difficult to find someone that is willing to help me out. Can my friend sponsor me even though he is under sponsorship? He qualifies for the income requirements.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Yes, your friend can be a co-sponsor, but your primary petitioner must be either an employer or a close family member (spouse, parent, adult child who is a U.S. citizen) in order to remain in the U.S. while you are applying for adjustment of status. And that person must be the primary petitioner, while you may have your friend co-sponsor you financially. However, he must report the other people he sponsored, and they have to be considered in determining eligibility. If you wish the help of an attorney, feel free to call or e-mail me to set up a consultation in-person or by phone.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
The law does not forbid this.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: