Can someone get in trouble for creating fake court documents? 10 Answers as of May 16, 2014

Someone I know created fake court documents to land a job and submitted them to their employer. The employer is asking for more documents but this person does not want to provide more. The employer would have to submit the evidence first to start an investigation into the allegations as well if they even do that at all, correct? The worst and most likely outcome from the employer would be this person gets laid off for not providing more documents, correct? What are the chances that the employer would wait, take time to get information from the court, and try to figure out all the confusion? I just don't see that happening.

The employer has fraudulent documents. Someone will be curious and ask questions of the clerk, which will lead to an investigation and an arrest. I absolutely see that happening.
Law Offices of Ward F. McDonough, Jr. | Ward F. McDonough, Jr.
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. In response to the question, my first response is that creating fake documents is lying. If the person who received the documents relied upon the content of the documents that are fake, the person lying could subject themselves to civil action for misrepresentation of a fact. If the person prepared the document intended to make a false representation, this also cold be a crime. The degree of the penalty will depend upon the extent to which the receipt relied on document(s) and any loss or negative position the recipient may be in by taking action based on false information. Time to Fess Up!
IT Forensics, Inc.
IT Forensics, Inc. | Christopher K. Steuart
It depends on what kinds of documents were forged, what they were used for, and what you mean by trouble.
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
The is not legal and you could go to jail for either possession of the documents or creating the document.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Yes this is a criminal offense. It could be a felony and lead to jail time.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes, that is uttering a forged instrument which is a felony.
    The person has lied in his application for employment and is subject to immediate dismissal. There may be additional issues because of his forging or creation of official documents which may actually have been a crime as well.
    Forging any documents is illegal. That's why they call it forgery. The person could also be guilty of fraud. If the person signed the documents under oath, then that is perjury. At minimum, I would see the person as being fired.. not laid off. As an employer, I would feel that I could not trust this person and would expect him, to lie again at some point in the future. Whether it goes to the extent of criminal charges, would depend upon the documents that were forged and how extensive it was.
    Law Office of Michael Norton
    Law Office of Michael Norton | Michael Norton
    Depends on the employer. Some may just fire him and let it be, others could call the police, DA or investigate themselves. He should do what he can to clean up his record. He can try to do it himself or hire an attorney to assist him.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Faking Court documents and using them this way is a crime. Assuming they are public record, as most Court documents are, the employer can get them himself. The employer will not do this and just fire the employee for insubordination.