Can someone fly internationally with an upcoming court date? 1 Answers as of April 22, 2011

My sister has a court hearing on gross misdemeanor in July but she has an international flight in May. She sold an alcohol beverage to undercover police officer of ~50 years old. She has never given proper training on ID check and she doesn't speak much English. Nobody explained her rights properly. She never received any letter from a court office, but warrant on her arrest yesterday (April 19) in a mail. I bailed her out paying $500 and she spent night in a jail. She is a single mother. I was wondering how is that going to affect her getting permanent green card? Possible deportation? Can she fly internationally before the court date?

I am assuming that she is authorized to stay in the US though I don't know her status other than she does not have a green card. A lot of it will depend on the classification of that offense in your State. If it is a misdemeanor and this is her first offense, I am pretty confident that her green card will not be endangered. She must consult with an attorney in your state. An arrest warrant is never a good thing. She needs to get this problem taken care of before she flies out preferably, but as long as there is no conviction on her or another arrest warrant, she should be re-admitted to the US if she has some status in the US. Whether she became removable because of that charge remains to be seen. If she is already out-of-status, then she is definitely removable. Have her take care of it before leaving is my take. Re-admission may just become an issue otherwise. Good luck!