Can someone elses creditor keep my personal property if it was inside the debtors property when reposessed? Posted on July 13, 2011

My ex-girlfriend "bought" me a storage shed for my birthday. While we were together, I made sure she had the money to make the payments. The rental company would not deal with me, as my name was not on the account. After we parted, I was giving her the money to pay these payments. Apparently, she was not forwarding the money, and the rental company came and repossessed the shed... with my property inside. When I complained, my ex told me that I could go pick my property from the rental company. The rental company said that they had to get her permission, so I conferenced her in. After giving her permission to speak with me, the rental company stated that I would have to pay the past due balance to receive my property and that I could not get the shed back after it was paid. I don't care about the shed that was not my contract. But can they keep my property over her past due balance?