Can someone clarify the Georgia First Felony Act and expungement eligibility please? 2 Answers as of May 17, 2012

I pled guilty to a financial transaction felony in Georgia and was granted the First Felony status. All conditions have been met. I was told that once everything was completed my record would say "discharged." However, it actually says "First Felony Discharge." I was working in child care at the time and what no one told me was that even though this is not a "conviction", the fact that I pled guilty to the felony would disqualify me from working in child care in some states (I now live in a neighboring state). Prior to this, I had no criminal record. I made a bad mistake, but am trying to find employment elsewhere but my record is obviously a problem, again, even though it is not a conviction. Am I eligible for an expungement under First Felony? If not, is there any thing else I can do? Is a pardon a possibility? Thank you.

H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
It does not count as a conviction under Georgia law, but the laws of other states may disqualify you from child care nonetheless. Georgia cannot command other states to modify their laws to suit our policies. Contact the prosecutor's office if you want to pursue expungement.
There is no expungment under 1st offender act. A pardon is a possibility, a rare possibility, but a possibility.