Can someone change their I9 document at work without being fired? 2 Answers as of July 14, 2011

Can someone change their I9 document at work without being fired if they used false documents the first time they did the document but now they are legal residents?

That will have to depend on the employer since that person lied in order to get employment. If that is the policy, then that person runs the risk of being fired. However in my view, that person should provide the correct information so that he can receive full credit for his contributions to Social Security, Federal and State taxes, etc. Maybe the employer would fire that person and re-hire them if he is truly a good employee. It could happen. Good luck!
Up to the employer. There are strict requirements on changes to I-9 documents. Normally the change is initialed on the old form or if the incorrect form was used you can complete the new form but must leave it with the old form.