Can she sign over full custody of the baby to me without the father say so? Posted on July 12, 2011

I have had my niece since she was 2 months old. My sister is a drug addict and the father is in jail and has been for a year now. She walked off and left the baby with me, her 5yr old with my mother, and her two boys who are 2 and 4 with her mother in law. Can she sign over full custody of the baby to me without the father say so? I have power of attorney over the child but I want her in a stable home. Not tossed around which is what is going to happen when the father is released from jail for theft over 20,000 and drugs. He has never been a part of her life but wants to come get her when he gets out even though he and my sister are no longer together. I am afraid the baby will be neglected and around drugs. Please help me!