Can sewer district proceed with sheriffs sale for delinquent charges if mortgage foreclosure is suspended? Posted on April 27, 2011

I received notice that my home in WA state was to be put in foreclosure due to mortgage default. The foreclosure is currently suspended along with many others. I also defaulted on a payment arrangement with the sewer district who now states if payment is not made in full by 4/29/11 they will proceed with a Sheriff's Sale. The letter I received from their attorney states, "As you know, our client received a Judgment and Order of Sale from the court." I did not know this. I'm not sure if the judgment they received was due to the foreclosure process being started by the mortgage company or something the sewer district filed. Regardless, I was not aware of it. The house was vacant for over 2 years and I recently found out about their policy on vacant properties. I notified them the property was vacant, however they never told me I was able to file paperwork to stop charges after a vacancy period of 6 months when I notified them so they continued to charge me. There is also now a tenant living in the house. I'd like to know what my options are, as well as my tenants' options. At this point in time, is there still a way I can dispute at least part of the charges because they did not inform me of the vacancy policy? With the foreclosure suspended, do they have a right to proceed with a sheriff's sale? And what rights do my tenants have in all this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: