Can the rental office just raised monthly rent 2 days after signing the lease? 9 Answers as of February 21, 2014

I just signed a lease on Feb. 12th for a 2 bedroom. This morning on Feb 14th I received a note from my rental office saying that my monthly rent will be raised to 901 dollars next month. Can they actually do this?

The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
As a general rule, NO. However, you need to read your Lease to determine the terms.
If it is a month to month tenancy, they must give you thirty days written notice before any rent increase can occur. That is the major disadvantage of a month to month tenancy.
If you signed a month to month and not a term lease, yes, this is legal.
Casler Law Offices PLLC
Casler Law Offices PLLC | Carlton C. Casler
No, the landlord and/or property manager cannot change the amount of your rent after you signed a fixed term lease UNLESS there is something in the lease that permits the landlord to raise the rent if specific circumstances arise and then those precise circumstances actually arise. If the landlord included that type of language and told you those circumstances would not likely arise, but the landlord knew those circumstances WOULD arise, then you may be able to rescind the lease based on fraudulent representations by the landlord.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
No you have a lease with them. The rent is what the lease says it is. Assuming you have a copy executed by the LL Or his agent. I would send the first months rent and why you are not paying the overage. They may try to evict in LT Court but they will get nowhere.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    If you have a document signed by both parties that provides for a different rent, the rent provided in the written lease agreement controls.
    Look at the lease. If it allows it, then yes they can. But I have a suspicion that your rental payment should have been fixed for the year.
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    No! The lease controls.