Can a public defender represent you in a non-family law civil contempt case? 4 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I have a permanent injunction against me prohibiting me from blogging about a public company's illegal activities. Then they sued me for "civil" contempt under CCP 1218 but said I should have a public defender.

It depends on what the contract or authorization exists with regard to the individual county involved. There is not constitutional right to a lawyer unless you can be sentenced to six months or more in jail. Some county program do provide such representation in lesser circumstances.
No they cannot. They can only help with "criminal" matters.
You can ask, but you will find that PDs will tell you they are not available for civil cases. You'll have to either do it yourself pro per, or hire an attorney. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
I do not believe you will be able to be appointed a public defender in a civil contempt matter. You will have to retain private counsel.