Can portfolio recovery associates come after you for a debt that was paid off in my bankruptcy? 14 Answers as of August 22, 2014

Consumer paid $10,000 and sold it to PRA who is now saying I owe them $14,000.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Barnhart Law Office
Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
If a debt was listed in a bankruptcy case that received a discharge order, any future collection effort is a violation of that discharge order and subjects the collector to penalties and sanctions. You should immediately send a copy of your discharge order to Portfolio Recovery. Keep copies and records of any communication with the collector.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/22/2014
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
They cannot pursue you if the debt was discharged. You should notify them of the discharge. If they continue to pursue you, you may need to go to the bankruptcy court for contempt in violating the post discharge injunction.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/21/2014
Law Office of William Stoddard | William Stoddard
Your question is ambiguous. Was your filing a chapter 13 where the debt was paid off or paid of to the amount still claimed. Defend the claim it is still owed. If you filed a Chapter 7 so the debt was discharged, then defend claiming misuse of process. Counter sue for violations of the credit act and the bankruptcy code. You may be awarded damages. In either case, defend, do not pay again.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/21/2014
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
You need to see a lawyer, you may have a good case against them. Log all call from them and keep all letters.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2014
The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
They cannot come after you if the underlying debt was listed, and probably not even if you forgot to list it in a chapter 7 no asset case.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/19/2014
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    Was the bankruptcy discharged after payment? If this creditor has sued you, it is probably a mistake. But it is up to you to respond to the lawsuit & present your defenses. If you are successful, you can be awarded legal fees and court costs. In addition, if your bankruptcy was discharged, you may have the right to sue the creditor for a violation of the bankruptcy discharge.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 8/19/2014
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
    If the debt was discharged in bankruptcy Portfolio Recovery cannot try to collect. Notify your attorney and the United States Trustee of creditor abuse.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/19/2014
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    If it was paid off and your bankruptcy was discharged then that is a discharge violation for which you can sue and collect money. You should see an attorney near you.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/19/2014
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC | Nick Best
    No. Send them a notice of you bankruptcy or the order of discharge.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/19/2014
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    No. Talk to your bankruptcy attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/19/2014
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    So many unknown details to answer this question. For example, did you receive a discharge as part of your bankruptcy. There are other answers needed to address your question. Visit with an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 8/19/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney