Can the police legally run anyone's license plate while driving? Posted on June 30, 2011

So a police officer can just randomly run anyone license plate as they drive down the street? Before the police officer pulled me over he was in the other lane beside me waiting at the light, he looked over at me. When the light changed the officer the officer got behind me and flashed his lights for me to pull over. I stopped and the police officer asked me if the car was stolen and when I asked why I was stopped he stated "that he ran my plates and I was driving on a suspended license (even though the tags was not expired)." I then asked the officer was this his normal practice to get behind a car and run licenses and he stated "yes", I then asked him if I had committed a moving violation and he stated "no".