Can the police come onto my property? 5 Answers as of May 18, 2012

police came into my driveway without my knowledge and took pictures of my car. i told officer earlier in 1on1 conversation that he had hit my car with his hand and dented it. he told me when we spoke after this that an officer can come on my property because i made a complaint against him. i have not filed any complaint. can they come onto my property?

The police can legally go (without a warrant or probable cause) that the public are allowed to go. If your driveway is part of the access to your front door that people like the mail man or kids with candy for sale, then the officer may go there.
They can enter private property otherwise open to public access like your driveway or coming up to the front door. Beyond that no.
Car in driveway? Driveway open to anyone to use to get to your front door? Then yes and has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you filed a complaint.
CAN they? Well, they did already. And, yes, they can, especially when investigating a possible crime. Yes, you did complain by talking to police. There is no requirement for you to sign formal papers. Your driveway and front yard are in the public view and are accessible unless fully enclosed by a fence. Besides, you have described no harm to you.
How do you know this occurred? Did you see it or did someone tell you? How did an officer make dent in a car with his hand? Anyway, I would not say that making a complaint against an officer - even if you DID do it - would be a basis to do any more than ring your doorbell. However, officers have a way of getting their stories straight when they need to. I have a feeling the officer would have a legal answer if asked by an attorney or a judge.