Can police change a police report facts? 3 Answers as of January 04, 2012

I am an elderly disabled person who had a man come to my door and threaten to beat me up. I picked up a copy of the original report that only said I was threatened and blacked out all information on the person that threatened me. The police did nothing and when I tried to follow up, the officer was on vacation. When he returned he changed the report number and said I never reported being threatened. I couldn't get information for even filing a restraining order to protect myself. What can I do?

You need to write a very articulate letter and mail it to your local DA's office for review.
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
You need to report this officer to his superiors, and if they won't do anything, then go to their superiors. No, an officer can't falsely change a police report. You might also want to talk to a civil attorney about police misconduct.
I would recommend filing a complaint with the police department superior. It sounds like you have a copy of the police report that confirms that you were threatened (even if the person's name was blacked out. Submit a copy of that to the police, along with whatever the cop is saying he has on file now (the report with the new report number). You can also still file for a restraining order even if the cops don't straighten out their story. You may want to consider hiring an attorney to assist in the matter if you feel your safety is in jeopardy.