Can the police ask my 7-year-old questions without me being present or any other adult? 6 Answers as of February 25, 2013

We are in Lawton Oklahoma and it is in regards to see if she is being abused or not at home by moms boyfriend.

Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
In the case of a complaint for abuse or neglect, yes.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
The police or other officials should notify the parents if they can locate them before they interrogate a minor, but they seldom do. They can question a child of any age as a potential witness or victim without Miranda Warnings or the parents being present.
There should be an adult normally there but if they are looking the parents as abusers, then they are not going to be there.
Usually, if there is some allegation of abuse or neglect, the police can check this out, but more often, a representative of the Child Welfare Department in your state investigates this anc can question the child without a parent being around, to get to the truth of the matter.
Rizio & Nelson
Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
This forum is intended to answer criminal defense questions in California. If you have a question about Oklahoma law, this question should be re-posted in an Oklahoma forum. Good luck.