Can the police arrest me for DUI after it happened? How? 14 Answers as of April 28, 2015

I got in an accident near my home and so I walked home after it happened. A while later the cops came to my home and used the breathalyzer and arrested me for DUI. If they don’t know when the accident happened and they don’t know what my blood alcohol content was when it happened how do they have a case?

Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
In reference to pour questions, I would agree that you have a great defense to the charge. Of course, I do not know what the police knew or what has been discovered since or whether you made any incriminating statements. Any time a person is charged with a crime, that person should contact an attorney immediately. Valuable rights, such as possible suspension of your driver's license, may become compromised as a result. Good luck.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You may have some defenses. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area and you would like a free consultation, contact my office at the number below.
They have a great leaving the scene of an accident case. They have a great obstruction case. Then we will deal with the DUI. You never reported the vehicle stolen, correct? When the police arrived and saw fluids still leaking and the engine warm, they can reasonably assume it recently occurred.
First, you should consult skilled in OWI work. Second, why should you think the police do not know much about the accident you apparently walked, or drove, away from? There may have been witnesses of whom you were not aware; you may have left traces at the scenee.g. of auto paint, or something dropped from your pocket, or the dents in your car match up with the dents in whatever you hit. Keep in mind: police almost never are witnesses to a murder, a rape, a bank robbery, but quite often they are able to build a case which leads to conviction.
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You may have the ability to challenge your arrest, however you will need the help of a DUI attorney. Call one immediately.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Yes, people are frequently convicted under similar circumstances to what you described. That being said, with an aggressive defense, you may be able to avoid a conviction. Hire a lawyer immediately to help you fight the charge.
    It just means your lawyer will have an easier time defending you. But it sure won't happen by yourself. You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    These are all issues for trial. Hire a good attorney.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Yes they can, you should lawyer up right away.
    Yes, you may have possible defenses. Engage an attorney before anything else. Foo not speak with the authorities OR ANYONE ELSE, before you do.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq. | Adam Militello
    Just because they arrested you doesn't mean they have a case. Find an experienced DWI lawyer near you as soon as possible; preferably someone who is serious enough about DWI law to be a member of the National College for DUI Defense. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    It does not sound like they have a very strong case, but the law in Arizona does say having a blood alcohol level above .08 or impaired to the slightest degree within two hours of driving. If it was longer than two hours they will try to extrapolate the results back to that time frame. They do have to prove that when they came to your house that was the level you were intoxicated while driving though. If you had a couple of drinks once home in between the crash and their test that would cause an issue with their results.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Those are very good questions. You need to contact an experienced attorney asap to discuss your case and potential defenses.
    Shalvoy Law, LLC | Walter A. Shalvoy Jr.
    You need to contact an attorney to navigate the arrest.