Can a person who filed for bankruptcy become a US citizen? 4 Answers as of November 01, 2010

I am interested in filing bankruptcy as well as apply for US Citizenship. I have been a Green card holder for over 25 years. Will the bankruptcy decision impact my US Citizenship application? Also, how long is the Bankruptcy going to be on my record for and when it is discharged, does it mean that it is completely off my record? They are personal all credit card debts in the amount of ~$12K. Thank you!

While the bankruptcy petition would raise a question on how you came to that point, the interviewers would probably not hold that against you. In point of fact, filing bankruptcy does not disqualify your citizenship application, not at all, by law. Your bankruptcy is on your credit rating and score for 10 years, and is on public record permanently. The issue of your debts are only an issue if there is evidence of fraud involved, trying to use bankruptcy laws to defraud, highly unlikely. If you have more questions on the matter, by all means call or e-mail me.
This question should be directed to an immigration law attorney, as to the citizenship question.

Bankruptcy stays on your credit record for 10 years.