Can a person take me to appeals court if i just filed bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of July 20, 2016

Civil suit is filed. I'm the defendant. Magistrate ruled. I lost. I filed objection. Judge ruled. I won. Now other party is trying to appeal. I just filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy. How does this continue?

Let an experienced BK lawyer look at everything for you. I have fifty questions before I can hazard a guess. Yes, you will have to pay for the consultation.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
The chapter 7 bankruptcy puts an automatic stay on the civil suit. The plaintiff would have to request relief from the stay to continue the civil suit. If you are not represented by an attorney now, you should get one if the plaintiff continues to press the matter. If they give up, your bankruptcy should discharge the cause of action.
If it is a civil appeal, they cannot unless they get permission from the bankruptcy court first.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
They shouldn't. Did your attorney file the necessary paperwork so that the civil court knows about the stay?
Patience grasshopper. The party attempting to file an appeal of the Judge?s decision may not have processed the information about your bankruptcy. Did you file a Suggestion of Bankruptcy in this case?
    It should be moot if only money damages are sought.
    You must be certain your opponent is informed about the BR filing, and that the Automatic Stay prohibits any any effort to collect on a pre-petition debt. It can be a contempt of court. You would benefit from retaining a lawyer; it's almost always worth the investment.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    The appeal cannot be filed without first getting relief from the automatic stay, which the Bankruptcy Court may or may not grant, depending on the facts and theories for recovery alleged in the complaint and why the Judge ruled in your favor. Filing the notice of appeal otherwise would be a violation of the automatic stay, which may be sanctioned by the Bankruptcy Court. For a more complete evaluation of your case, please contact us at 213-389-4362 for a free initial consultation.
    The other party needs relief from the automatic stay to proceed. You need a lawyer.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    It can't continue. File a suggestion of Bk in the civil case. It should stop the litigation.