Can a person sue me for an accident if I was driving the company bus while I was at work? 20 Answers as of September 19, 2013

I was at work driving the company bus and ran a red light reading directions and hit someone. Can that driver sue me instead of the company because I was at fault?

Rex A Ziebarth Attorney | Rex A Ziebarth
most likely is that you would be sued along with the owner under? the michigan owners liability statute.? the Company's insurance should hire a lawyer to defend you as well as the company
If suit is filed, the claimant will name everyone, including you. However, the company?s insurance co, will defend you.
D Kendall Perkins Counselor at Law | D Kendall Perkins
You violated the law, you caused the a accident, you are responsible for your actions. Any injured person would also want to hold your employer responsible, because the employer usually has the deeper pocket.
David P. Slater, esq.
David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
Your company insurance should cover you. Call them.
Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
Absolutely, yes. Everyone is responsible for their own torts / own negligence. You should be defended and indemnified by your employer / your employer's insurer, though, if you were in the course of your employment at the time of the accident.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    Yes, you can be sued. The company would probably also be sued. In either event, the company's insurance carrier should provide a defense for you and pay any damages up to the limits of the policy as long as you are considered to be an insured under the insurance policy.
    Yes they can. However, the company insurance should cover any liability and hire a lawyer to defend the case. Also, if you own an automobile that is insured, your insurance will provide additional coverage.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    If a lawsuit is filed, both you and your employer company would be included in the lawsuit. Since you were driving a company vehicle, then your employer's insurance company will be on the hook for up to the policy limits. You did not mention serious injuries, nor did you mention that liability was an issue. Accordingly, most likely, the case will settle and be resolved between your employer's insurance company and the Plaintiff without the necessity of a lawsuit.
    Julie Butcher Law Office
    Julie Butcher Law Office | Julie A. Butcher
    Yes, you and your employer can be sued for the other person's injuries. Your employer's insurer will provide you with and attorney to defend you. You should cooperate with your attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Of course they can sue you, you admit you were the negligent party however, they will undoubtedly also sue your employer and say that the employer is responsible for your actions as you were within the scope and course of your employment. They/their lawyer will want the employer's presumably large insurance policy to be available to pay any settlement/verdict vs. your presumably lesser personal assets. Your vehicle insurance won't even cover you for an on the job negligent act, but your employer's insurance will. The employer's liability insurer will defend any claims made/actions filed and provide you/your employer with a lawyer.
    They can go after both, you and the company, you both are liable.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    They can but they won't because your employer has more insurance.
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    Yes, that person can sue you personally, as well as the company for which you work. Your employer's insurance should pay the damages, though.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    For various tactical reasons both the company and you would be sued .The company insurance will provide defense and indemnity to both you and company . Remember that if you were injured you have a separate worker's compensation claim even if the accident was your fault .