Can a permanent resident sponsor someone to come to the United States if they are not married? 2 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I am a Canadian citizen and a permanent resident of the U.S. I am in the process of getting divorced. I have a wonderful woman in my life now that lives in Canada. Can I keep my permanent resident staus and sponsor her to come here? Do we have to be married first?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
In order to sponsor an individual they have to be an immediate relative or eligible for fiancee status. Thus if you are married you may sponsor your wife, who as the spouse of a permanent resident would take 3 years to get to the U.S. For a fiancee visa, you must be a U.S. citizen.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/14/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You must be married. But as a lawful permanent resident your spouse will not be deemed to be an immediate relative and thus will take a few years before she can adjust her status.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: