Can a permanent resident return to the US after deportation for domestic violence? 4 Answers as of February 10, 2011

My boyfriend was deported after domestic violence and he had a green card. I am US citizen if we get married, how long it will take to bring him back?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Without knowing more facts, all I can really say is that if the domestic violence was simply that and did not rise to the level of an aggravated felony (under immigration laws), then you may be able to a file a petition on his behalf for a new immigrant visa and then file a waiver of the crime at the U.S. Embassy where he resides. From start to finish, this can take anywhere from 8 months to 3 years.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 2/10/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Domestic violence is considered a crime of moral turpitude. He is subject to a ten-year bar. After that time, he still has to show that he is rehabilitated.

You need to consult a lawyer before you marry a alien with a criminal conviction.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/10/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Most probably he will need a waiver before he can return to the United States.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: