Can people threaten me about selling my house if the title deed is on my name? 18 Answers as of November 11, 2013

Hi. My husband passed away and sorted out all legal papers with regard to our house. The title deed is on my name. Can my husband's siblings now fight with me because he did not pay them their share? At the time, they said they did not want anything but decide they need it now. Can they do anything to harm me legally? Can they go to court and sell my house?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If you are on the deed, they can only take you to court to either sell the property or to determine whether you or they inherit your husband's share.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/11/2013
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, if the deed states you are sole owner/titleholder, then others generally should not have claim to your property or be able to sell your house.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 11/11/2013
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
If you and your husband acquired the house during the marriage and it is your homestead, it is legally yours. Otherwise, I would need more information to answer this question properly.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/7/2013
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
If title is in your name, what can they do?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/8/2013
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
The question is are you a bonafide purchaser for value. You sound like you are not. I suggest you retain an attorney to address your situation and discuss your next steps.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/11/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Have an attorney review title. Without seeing title it is impossible to say.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    If your in-laws had some claim to the property prior to you such as your husband and his siblings inherited the property together and then agreed that he could live in the house for the rest of his life, after which the house would be sold and the income distributed amongst the remaining siblings then they can take you to court to regain possession. You don't indicate why they think they have a claim on the property.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Law Office of David T Egli | David T. Egli
    Anyone can threaten you. The real questions are: (1) Did they have any basis to assert they had any rights in the residence in the first place and, (2) If they do, did they lose those rights by failing to assert them and allowing title to be transferred to you. What shares do they claim they had? The siblings are not heirs of your husband. Were they beneficiaries of his will? Was the residence a family residence passed down to husband from his parents and the siblings claim that he was suppose to share it with his siblings? How was title to the residence held before your husband's death? How was the house title transferred into your name? Did the transfer process require giving any notice to the siblings of the transfer to you or the signing by the siblings of any document authorizing the transfer to you? Assuming that the siblings had any rights to the residence when you husband died, if they failed to assert these rights or signed anything authorizing transfer of title to you, you probably have several valid defenses to any action they may bring. There are too many questions and documents in this matter that must be reviewed before answers can be given to the real question. Don't agree to give anything to the siblings until you've gone over all the documents and facts in this matter with an experienced estate attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Law Office Of Victor Waid
    Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
    You are advised to seek the services of a competent lawyer to direct a letter to your former husband's children to stop threatening you, as you succeeded to the house from your former husband, and title is with you. The letter should advise them they may be on the short end of a lawsuit for harassment.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You need to contact a probate attorney. The terms of the will will govern any distribution.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    Your situation sounds very strange. I do not see how they could do anything with your house, since only you are on the title. If there were claims against your husband, those claims may have died with him. You need to have all of your facts and paperwork reviewed by an attorney to determine where you stand.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Robert E. Giffin | Robert E. Giffin CPA
    No to all question, except they can take you to court, but if your name is the only name on the deed, you win.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If the property title is in your name. Your deceased husband's siblings have no claim to the real estate.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
    I'm not sure where you live, but typically the home is joint with the spouse and it goes to the surviving spouse at the time of death. If it was not joint and your husband had a will it should have been divided according to the will. Heirs can and sometimes do refuse their inheritance, in that case the property is divided as though the person who refused their share had died previous to the donor. If the siblings refused their inheritance they cannot reclaim it after the probate. If there was not will typically states have laws that give the property to the surviving spouse and children (if any) and not siblings. Please check the law where you live and if you still have questions contact an Estate Planning Attorney.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    I don't know. You will have to talk with a local attorney about all of the issues. There are too many questions that have to be asked and answered to give you a good opinion.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
    Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C. | Donald Scher
    No, "people" have no legal authority to threaten you to force you to sell your house, claiming something. To get answers to your questions, you need to consult with an attorney and find out what your rights are and how to keep the wolves away from your door.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I need more details, but if you are the only person on the deed, it is your house unless there is a security interest due to a loan.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    You should know that anyone can go to Court and claim anything, that does mean they will be successful. To properly protect yourself, immediately contact an attorney specializing in estate litigation.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 11/11/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney