Can a paternity case be brought against me again after it was dismissed? 4 Answers as of March 30, 2011

I had a court case in California. I have never been there and paid an attorney to get it dismissed. It was a child support case for a child that she had after she got married and I am not aware if was mine or not and pretty sure she had his name on the birth certificate. Anyway, it was dismissed, can they start coming at me again after 4 years?

Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
If it was dismissed without prejudice, and there is a possibility the child is yours and the child is still a minor, then yes, they can file a new petition against you.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
If the case was simply dismissed as opposed to reaching final Judgment, they could possible come after you again. If they are serving papers, call a lawyer ASAP and figure out your rights.
If a paternity action was simply dismissed without prejudice, then it was never determined whether or not you are dad. Thus, a new action may be filed. If you were found to not be the father previously, then no, they may not bring a new action against you.
Ifa priorpaternity case was dismissed "with prejudice", the mother can't come after you again. If it was dismissed "without prejudice", she can come after you again. If the prior case was a child support case brought by the county, it is unlikely that the case would have been dismissed with prejudice. However, if you took a DNA test and the reason that the prior case was dismissed was that the DNA test excluded you as the father, it is likely that the case was dismissed with prejudice.