Can parole be served out in a different state? 28 Answers as of June 24, 2011

My husband and I are from Washington. He left Washington while serving on his parole and is now in Idaho, but he is less than one year away from completing his parole sentence. If they are trying to make him go back to Washingont to serve the rest of his sentence, can he serve the parole in Idaho instead?

Most likely, his Parole officer can contact the Idaho Parole office to do the transfer, particularly if it is for work reasons or some other positive reason. Stay well.
Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
In WA community custody may be served in most other jurisdictions, but arrangements for this must be made through DOC before leaving WA for the other jurisdiction.
That would be up to the Division of Parole and the court. He should hire an attorney to talk to the court and the Parole officer about this.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
This would depend upon the specific terms of your husbands parole. He very well may have been required to request the ability to move to a new state from the parole board before doing so. If he proceeded to move without permission then he may have violated the terms of his parole and could face sanctions. You should consider contacting any probation officers involved in his case and/or the attorney who represented him in the issue as to the terms of his parole.
There are ways to be on parole in one state while living in another. It must be set up before you leave the paroling state. You work it out through your parole officer.
    If you are on parole you must abide by the terms of your parole. That will usually mean that you must report to your parole officer in that state. Some people are allowed to report by phone, others can report only once a month and can travel for work. It all depends on the terms of the parole as set by the court or parole officer.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    Yes, you can ask the parole board for a transfer.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- The answer to the question is yes. However, he must be referred to Idaho from Washington by his parole officer. The name of the statute that authorizes this is the interstate compact for parole supervision. Contact me if you need other questions answered.
    Typically, parole is served in the state where convicted. Leaving can only be allowed with permission. If he left with permission, then his parole can be ended. If he left without permission and is an absconder or violator, then he can be sanctioned. These questions are best left to the attorney representing him I hope that this was helpful.
    Yes parole can be served in any state if the court will permit it, but only if the originating state agrees to it and the receiving state agrees to supervise the parolee. You should consult with an attorney.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    A parolee can transfer his supervision under something called the "Interstate Compact on Adult Offender Supervision." The sending state (Washington) and the receiving state (Idaho) have to agree to the transfer and then the person must agree to abide by the probation/parole department of the receiving state and waive extradition if one state wants to send him back. The problem your husband is going to have is that it appears he left Washington without permission (obviously a no-no) and he will have to first go back to Washington, face the music there and if he gets back out on parole then he can apply for a transfer to Idaho.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    This can usually be arranged if an Idaho court is willing to take over supervising the probation.
    Parole can be served in another state, but generally the sending and receiving state must agree and the party on parole does not normally have a right to have it transferred.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    They can and probably will make him go back. A person can serve time on parole in a state other than where he was paroled if he asks permission to do so and both states agree. Otherwise, the state where he was put on parole can treat him as a fugitive and deny credit for the time spent out of state.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    Every State has different rules regarding parole. In Connecticut, you can request the court to transfer your parole to the state that you will reside.
    They can probably make him stay in-state if they want until his parole is over. Please note the following necessary legal disclaimer: I have not given legal advice. I only give advice to my clients. I am not acting as your attorney. I have not yet agreed to represent you. Anything I have said is based on limited information and may be subject to change as more facts become known. Attorneys express opinions. Attorneys often disagree. If you want further information or independent verification of anything I have said then you should immediately consult another attorney. Never sit on your rights! I am admitted to practice law only in New York State.
    I'm not sure as to the laws of the state of Washington, however, this would be a question for his parole agent.
    Lowenstein Law Office
    Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
    Sometimes it can be arranged through inter-state compacts. For more information, please see my website.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Parole can be served in other states if the parolee gets permission from the original state and the new state agrees to supervise. Generally, this would have to be done prior to leaving the state. Most parole conditions would prevent leaving the state without permission.
    It will be up to his parole officer and the parole board. They will get the final decision. Present a good case to them on why you need to continue living in Idaho (i.e. good job, family) and unless there has been some problems with your husband on parole, chances are they will probably let him. Just keep in mind that they don't have to and it is ultimately their decision, but usually they are not unreasonable people unless there is a good reason for it.
    Yes, but two things have to happen. First the State where he has his parole has to agree to let him leave. This usually involves asking the sentencing judge. Second the State where he wants to go has to agree to take him. Usually they do this.
    You typically need to get approval before moving out of state, failure to get the necessary approval can be a parole violation. I would make sure he contacts his parole agent.
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law
    Tracy L Henderson, Attorney at Law | Tracy L. Henderson
    He needs to contact his parole officer and request a transfer to Idaho. I would strongly urge he go BACK to Washington to request the transfer and not advise he left the state.
    It is my understanding that in most states parole can be transferred from one state to another, provided that the receiving state agrees to accept the responsibility of supervising the parole. Additionally, one who is on parole is normally not allowed to leave the state without permission from their parole officer.
    Komanapalli Massey LLP
    Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
    I am sure that he was aware, because they tell you, that you may not leave the state without permission from your parole or probation office, or the court. He messed up.He needs to go to court and request that he either be released from parole early, or that the court allow him to remain in Idaho on parole, and check in from there. Since he violated the court's order and his terms of parole, he will likely be required to return to serve out his last year in state, or he may shorten it by serving out his sentence in custody.
    Any change of probation or parole must be specifically approved by Probation Dept and the court involved. Hire an attorney there to deal with the motion necessary.
    If the Washington Department of Corrections and Idaho can agree to transfer supervision to Idaho it can be done. Your husband would need to contact his CCO or Community Corrections Officer to request the change. However, your husband may be looking at a probation violation for moving out of the state without permission. That could mean a 30-day stay in jail in Washington. I suggest he contact his CCO as soon as possible.