Can parents sponsor children for immigration purposes without an income? 4 Answers as of March 06, 2011

My parents are retired, they haven't had an income since 2007. Their social security is basically nothing. Will they be able to sponsor my two siblings for permanent resident status as well as their families?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
It is possible for your parents to sponsor your siblings, but they would have to obtain co-sponsors who have the ability and willingness to provide support with an I-864A Supplement to the Affidavit of Support. If you wish the help of an attorney to discuss the matter further, and possibly to work on your behalf, feel free to contact me via phone or e-mail to set up a consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
No they cannot.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 3/2/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes your parents can sponsor their children; providing your parents are U.S. citizens. Dont worry about whether your parents are working etc. as anyone, providing they are either LPR or U.S. citizen can co-sponsor with your parents on the affidavit of support (I will go through this with you in your free consultation). If your brothers and sisters are under 21 and unmarried then they would be deemed to be immediate relatives of their parents, and within a few months would be able to enter the U.S. as lawful permanent residents. If they are over 21 and if married/unmarried then the process will take much longer as they have to wait for their visa numbers to become current before entering the U.S. Contact my office for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/2/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If your parents are American citizen, they can file for your (married or unmarried) siblings. If your parents are LPR, they can file for their son or daughter (who must be single). When it will be time to submit the affidavit of support, your parents can get a co-sponsor....maybe you? The co-sponsor must be either US citizen or green card holder and have the necessary income.
When the petitioning parents are elderly, best to have both of them to file for each son or daughter, just in case on petitioning parent passes away, the other one is left. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: