Can parents have joint custody and reside in different cities and the residential parent register the child in the school? 1 Answers as of April 25, 2013

Can parents have joint custody and reside in different cities and the residential parent register the child in the school which they reside. My ex is trying to obtain sole legal custody stating the city she resides in requires her to have sole custody to register our son in school. We were never married, I am not sure if this makes a difference and I do pay child support for my son. We reside in Ohio.

Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
You need to get to a lawyer right now. I will say it again: call a lawyer today. Your ex is playing you. She is currently the sole residential and custodial parent pursuant to ORC 3109.042. To gain any rights to see your son, or co-parent your son, you need an order of the court. Absent that order you can pay all of the child support required and never see your son. Please contact a lawyer. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather is intended only for entertainment.