Can the parental rights of my son's biological father be terminated if he has not made any form of contact in over 4 years? 7 Answers as of July 25, 2013

If so, what course of action would prove most effective? What steps should I pursue in order to begin this process?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
In Arizona the abandonment of a child by a biological parent can be grounds for the termination of parental rights. You should consult with an attorney experienced with severance and adoption matters in your area.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/25/2013
John Russo | John Russo
If your new spouse is willing to adopt then you have a good chance based on this limited info if no adoption no petition, does he still pay child support?
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 7/24/2013
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
In IL, the father's rights can be terminated for adoption purposes or if he's found, by the court or DCFS, to be an unfit parent, which in your case he wouldn't be unfit, but an absent father. If, you want to terminate because you desire your husband to adopt your son, then yes, his rights can be terminated.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/24/2013
In Nevada if there has been no contact for six months and no child support you can file a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/24/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
You would have to initiate a petition to terminate parental rights in the Juvenile Court on the basis of abandonment. It can be a very difficult process and even if you prove abandonment, you must still prove that termination is in the best interest of your son.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 7/24/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You can seek to have a court extinguish his parental rights under the circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/24/2013
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    The answer to this question depends on several facts and cannot be answered in this forum. You should have an in person and detailed consultation with an attorney who can get the detailed background and all relevant facts, and then advise you on your best course of action based on that information.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: