Can a parent say no to out of state travel? 2 Answers as of July 17, 2015

My fiancé and the mother of his child have 50/50 legal and physical custody of his 3 year old. Can my fiancé tell the mother that she cannot take the child out of state for vacation? Does she have to give him a certain amount of notice before hand?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
What does their paperwork say? If there are no provisions, then yes she can but as a good parent she should be giving notice of where they are going and how they can be reached. Attorney Tajara Dommershausen Petit & Dommershausen, SC 1650 Midway Road Menasha, WI 54952 Office 920-739-9900 Fax 920-739-9909 Although we utilize the convenience of email and facsimile transmissions, should you wish to correspond with Petit & Dommershausen in this fashion, please be advised that this does not warrant an automatic reply/response on our part. We will address your concerns in the course of normal business operations, usually within 24-48 hours of receipt. If this e-mail is to a client the information contained in this message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. When corresponding via electronic mail, you should only use your personal email account. Your employer has complete ownership of your corporate email account and computer. If you use your corporate email account, there maybe NO attorney - client privilege. If this is to a potential client, be aware that this email does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is the email intend to give specific legal advice. Any communication by email does not make you a client of our firm, until we agree to represent you. Before that time any information we receive is not confidential or privileged. Before we can agree to represent you, we must take you through our conflict of interest procedure and determine if we are the best attorneys to handle your matter. If you proceed with an email, you confirm that you have read and understood this notice. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/17/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The first thing is to review any court orders relating to custody and placement. If they say nothing about the subject, then he should be able to take the child(ren) out of state for a short vacation on his own placement time without any agreement from the other parent. It is common decency to give her notice of when he will be gone and where he will be with the child, whether or not any order says so.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/16/2015
Click to View More Answers: