Can a parent put you in juvie or have you arrested for smoking weed? 18 Answers as of April 01, 2013

I'm 17 years old and my mom knows I smoke but this morning she claimed I was smoking in the house but I wasn't. The window was down and the smell came in the house and she basically told me I'm going to stop or she is going to put me in jail. I got caught stealing in 2010 and the judge gave me a year probation and erased it off of my record. She says she is going to call the same judge so he can put me in jail. Can she do that? I'm a good kid, I just like to have fun. My grades are excellent and I'm going to be a ob gyn doctor when I go to college.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
She could call your probation officer, but it appears that the probation is over. The bigger question is why you want to ruin your mind and be a doctor?
If you smoke weed then you end up as no doctor at all and not get into med school. If you think otherwise then you are too stupid to get through med school. If she catches you with weed then she can call the police and get you arrested.
I would need further information to answer, but generally I believe a parent can talk to the police or prosecuting attorney or judge about it and it will be up to the prosecuting attorney to file charges or not. You should consult an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
If she did report you to the judge, then that would be a probation violation if they gave you a urine test and you failed it. So be careful that you don't hurt your future at this early of a stage in your life.
Jeff Holmes - Attorney at Law | Jeff Holmes
Your mom can potentially call law enforcement to report your marijuana possession/use, which could lead to you being charged with a criminal offense. You cannot legally possess or consume marijuana in Washington if you are under the age of 21 even after the passage of I-502. Getting convicted of possession of marijuana could also have very negative consequences for an aspiring student. Federal law prohibits possession of any controlled substance (including marijuana) and conviction for possession of MJ could preclude you from receiving any financial aid from the federal government. Although this is a rather draconian result for minor marijuana use/possession, it is the current state of federal law. At this point, you are still a juvenile and still living under the rules of your mother. I would recommend you respect her wishes.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    If you have those goals of being a doctor, it is suggested you stop your illegal activity. At 17 you are an adult, will be charged as such, treated as such v and have record. That record, in the name of fun, may prevent you from your dreams. Good grades or not. Yes, you can be arrested if evidence is there. Do you want to even take that chance.
    Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
    Your mom can call the police on you but she cannot contact the Judge to tell him to put you in jail. She can contact the police and tell them you are smoking marijuana which may prompt them to question you and possibly get a warrant to search Your house or Your room which means they would charge you with a criminal offense if they found you in possession if it. It would obviously be better if you found ways to have fun that does not involve the use of drugs. She could act as a witness against you but as Your mother it is hard to imagine her wanting to see a Court send you go to Juvenile detention center. Why don t you talk to her about not doing it anymore and seeking help if you feel that you have an addiction issue, good luck.
    Your mother could report you to the police (not the judge) and at age 17 you would be treated as an adult. Your best bet, especially if you want to go to med school, is to make peace with your mother and give up drugs at least for the time being.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    Your mother just wants the best for you. Not only can you be arrested, but your mother can be arrested also. You will be prosecuted for possession of an illegal drug. She will be arrested and prosecuted for "allowing" a juvenile to take any drugs in or around her home called contributing to the delinquency or a minor, or other such charges. Even though she did not "allow" you to do something illegal she is still liable for your actions. She can also lose custody if you do anything illegal, especially now that you already have a record. I would hope this would not happen to her, but you never want to take that chance. I understand that you were just experimenting, but you need to consider why she is so upset. She is looking out for your best interests. She wants you to succeed in all your goals. Good grades or not, if you are arrested for any illegal drugs, including marijuana, you will have a record. That record will keep you from a good college. Not going to a good college will directly affect your ability to get into medical school. If you are arrested she will have to spend thousands of dollars for a good attorney to try to reduce your sentence and/or hers. She might even lose her job if she has a record. Can you see how each choice we make directly affects our future? I am not being dramatic - I see these type of innocent mistakes mess up a persons or their entire family's life forever. So, hug your mother and apologize for not thinking through the consequences for you both. She obviously loves you very much or she would not be so upset. No parent ever wants their child to be hurt or put into a serious situation that changes the rest of their life.
    Shane Law Office
    Shane Law Office | Robert J. Shane
    Stay strong. Your mom is from a different generation. The police would need to be contacted and you would need to be found in possession of marijuana.
    You are not going to be a doctor with a drug conviction on your record. Have fun some other way or pay for you present fun for the rest of your life. Remember, it is YOUR LIFE, you actions and your consequences. You have already gotten your one chance, it will not happen again. Speak with an attorney or a counselor about how easy it is to ruin you future.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    She can call police and allow them to search your room and any contents therein and you can be arrested.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    You are not going to be a doctor if you get an arrest record. You should not smoke pot in public since the poilce will catch you, You cannot smoke pot at home since you can smell it from a mile away a month after you put out the joint. That leaves onlt the desolate areas of the great outdoors where men can hunt, fish, drink beer and smoke pot and their mother and the police ar no where in sight. I do not condone smoking pot, but it is better than alcohol or hard drugs and I know that just telling people not to have sex or not to smoke pot is useless. I guess you should tell them to be cautious, moderate, safe, and not get caught if you really must even though it is better to be abstinent and sober. Goof luck. Listen to Jethro Tull "Benefit", "Sand Up", and "Aqualung" or "Dark Side of the Moon" preferably on vinyl or with really good headphones amigo.
    I don't know about the judge, but she can file a police report and turn you in.
    At 17 you are an adult in the eyes of criminal justice system. So, forget about juvenile court. Your mother can have you arrested for smoking weed, as long as she tells the police she observed it, and allows the drug dog into your room. There will always be remnants.
    Clinton Law Office | Michael Clinton
    You should consult an attorney.
    Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law | Randy M. Lish
    You should consult an attorney.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    Simple possession of marijuana is not punishable by jail in California. It's a small fine only. Tell your mom to her call anyone she wants. The cops aren't interested in busting you for a small amount of marijuana inside a private residence. Try calling the cops next time you see somebody speeding. See what happens.