Can the owner press charges on me for theft without proof? 10 Answers as of October 22, 2012

I've been working for this company for 15 years. I made a careless mistake, lost four deposits but no proof. I was fired and now he's trying to press charges on me!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
He can try. They are gone and you say you lost them. Were they all cash or are there checks that could be traced? If so maybe you could find out if someone found them and took advantage. Get a lawyer before talking to any police.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/22/2012
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
I have won this case before a jury. It sounds like you were supposed to make a deposit and did not. You did not because you lost the deposit. that is not theft, nor any crime, it is just a bad mistake. you can be charged, but it should be difficult to prove if the police come to talk with you, you do not have to talk with them - you should just say I want an attorney there is nothing you can tell them today that you cannot tell them tomorrow after speaking with me - besides, you already told the boss that you lost the deposit - you cannot tell the police any more.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/19/2012
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Can you explain the line "lost four deposits but no proof"? No proof of what the four deposits that were lost. Obviously the company can contact clients and put together proof that checks were cut (and probably cashed) to the company that you used to work for. So, there will be proof of the deposits when you are charged with theft. So, I assume you mean no proof that they were not lost. If you are assigned to make the deposits and you did not make them, that is presumptive evidence that you stole them. Where did they go? When did you report the loss? Did you ever report it, or did your employer catch it? More presumptive evidence. I suggest that your retain an attorney, before you end up on jail on a case you (non-lawyer) think there is no proof.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/19/2012
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
Ask for a court-appointed lawyer. Do not talk to the cops, as they will be looking for evidence of your guilt. If you did not intentionally take money, nor benefit from it, then you are innocent.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/19/2012
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Yes, the owner may file a police report. It would be up to the prosecutor to determine there were enough facts to file charges against you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/19/2012
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    He has the right to do so, but the evidence must prevail.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/19/2012
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    Individuals cannot press charges in the state of Washington. Only prosecutors can fill and dismiss charges. All the employer can do is file a police report.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/18/2012
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    They can press charges, but it may be hard to prove without proof. Talk to your lawyer or contact us for a free consultation. Never talk to the police without a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/18/2012
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Yes, charges can be pressed against you. Proving the charges is a different matter and you will need to hire an attorney to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 10/18/2012
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    He can press charges, but he will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you took the money with the intent to deprive him or his company of that money. If he can't do that, you should be acquitted.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 10/18/2012
Click to View More Answers: