Can our green cards be revoked if they only married to get status? 3 Answers as of March 04, 2011

If my mother and I made it to the US because my sister's dad and my mom got married to share a visa that only he had been granted with, then he declares that they got married just for that purpose, can they revoke our green cards? We arrived to the US on 10/2007. I arrived being a minor, now I am an emancipated adult. Please advise.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Technically, the answer is yes since that means you were never entitled to that greencard to begin with. Recission can take place through the first five years of permanent residence. You should really seek competent legal counsel to help you with this.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 3/4/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Yes, if he reports to ICE. Call a lawyer to defend you and your mother if he does so. Remember our number.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If the USCIS determines that a person married solely to obtain an immigrant benefit and obtained a Green Card based on the at marriage they can move to rescind the Green Card or commence removal proceedings to deport the person. If you obtained your Green Card based on your mother's marriage, then you could lose it as well. However, merely a petitioner claiming the marriage was fraudulent or was merely for immigrant purposes may not be enough proof, especially if you can show he has a reason to lie (ex. to avoid paying spousal support, etc.). Based on the facts, if your mother and your step-father had a child together, it would take a lot more evidence then just your step-father claiming the marriage was fake for the USCIS to rescind your Green Cards.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: