Can the other party legally take away my car? 3 Answers as of May 17, 2012

I was involved in an accident that was my fault. I am the driver on the one policy that was involved in the accident. But I have another vehicle that I share with my mother on another insurance carrier, but it is paid in full and it is hers even though my name is on title, incase she were to pass away it would be left to me. Can I be sued for the car that is paid in full? It is my moms car I wouldn't want them to sue me and take her car away that she paid for out her hard working money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sean O'Connor | Sean O'Connor
The short answer to your question is that yes, a judgment creditor could seize the automobile to satisfy their judgment. Longer answer is that the details of your case will determine the best course of action for you to take.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/17/2012
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
If it is titled solely in your name, then it is legally your asset and they can take it if they get a judgment against you personally. Why not put both your names on the title then it automatically passes to you upon her death.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/16/2012
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
If you had insurance which it sounds like you did, you should be okay. The insurance company should pay for a lawyer to defend you and try to prevent any judgment above your policy limits. However, it is possible that if you were sued and you lost, and your insurance did not cover the judgment, that they could try to come after any asset you have including a car you co-own. It is rare that this happens if there is insurance available. Your first step should be to find out from your insurance company if they are protecting you. Make sure they are aware of the accident and convey your concerns to them.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: