Can officer ticket me for selling to a minor after minor is off my premises? 6 Answers as of October 14, 2014

An officer pulled a minor over about 2 miles away from my store and found the minor in possession of alcohol. The minor claimed he bought the alcohol from my establishment. The officer came to my store and wrote me a ticket for selling to a minor. Can they do this, the minor and officer have no proof bit the word of the minor. What do I do?

Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Unfortunately you may have the burden of trying to prove that you did not sell to the minor. It sounds like the police had probable cause to believe that it was your store that sold the alcohol to the minor, but you could simply go back through your video surveillance or maybe even your register (especially if the person used a credit card) and show that it did not happen.
Sounds like a difficult case to prove. Hire a local attorney and head to court.
You have to get a lawyer. The word of the minor, if believed beyond a reasonable doubt, is enough to convict you.
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
It is a defense but the ticket will not just go away; you need to hire a lawyer to handle this.
VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
The officer wrote the ticket based upon minor's statement. That ticket is technically nothing more than an accusation. The court is there to determine the truth & your guilt or Innocence in the matter. If you have security video system in your store, you want to save the video for that day so you can show that at whatever time the minor claims he purchase from you you can show if he did or not. Hire yourself a good local attorney and defend yourself if you are sure you or no one at your store sold to that minor. Ask about id by photo array.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    It can happen. What you do is ID those buying alcohol. Think also why would the minor lie. One can always argue their side and offer a defense.