Can a nonprofit organization pay minimum wage through a stipend? 4 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I’m wondering if an employer (a nonprofit organization) can pay its workers less than minimum wage when considering the number of hours worked given the stipend, it amounts to $3.00 an hour. I am under 18 by the way and I am not an intern, I am an employee. Is this allowed?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I do not know the answer to this question.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
All employers must pay the minimum wage to employees.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
There are times when non-profit organizations can get away with this. For example, college football teams give players meal money etc, but it is much less than the minimum wage. If you volunteer with a non-profit organization, the organization can agree to pay a stipend to cover expenses. This is quite common. Thus, I doubt you have much to complain about here.
I don't believe so, but you need to call your state's department of labor and ask them.