Can a non-citizen immigrant change their name while in the United States? 7 Answers as of March 08, 2011

I am a noncitizen who has worked in US for 7 months, I need to make my preferred name official before applying for SSN, because my name is weird and hard to be pronounced. Can I have a name change in US? If I can, how?

Each state has its own laws re name change - most require you to post a notice in the paper for a certain period of time, file a petition with the court, and then schedule a hearing (often in chambers) to get the Name Change Decree. After you get the Decree you apply for a new passport and new immigration documents.
Contact your court house clerk for an application. You will appear in front of a judge.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The process of a changing a name is normally a state law question and so differs from state to state. I cannot say whether there would be a problem because you are a non-citizen because I don't know what state you reside in and because this is not really an immigration question. I would caution that if you are applying for a SSN, it sounds like you are here in a lawful status. Please be sure to make sure that all of your immigration documents are appropriately changed as well or you could face some real problems in the future.
The requirements and restrictions to legally change you name in the U.S. is determined by the state you live in. Each state has different rules so you have to check with the court in the state in which you are residing.
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
Since you are not a citizen, your identity will be based on your foreign passport and that is the name that will appear on your social security card. When you apply for your green card your original name will also be based on the name in your foreign passport. The best solution would be to see a lawyer in your country of origin and have your name changed so you can apply for a passport with your new name. If your name is changing because of marriage then you could apply for a new passport at your consulate or embassy here in the US with your new name by showing your marriage license. You could then apply for your social security card with your new name.
    Hugo Florido ESQ.
    Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
    Yes, as long as you have live in the US for more than six months you can petition the family court to change your name.
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    Certainly, you may change your name here. You have a good-faith personal reason, time-honored among American immigrants. There is a process at the local county court or state court in your area. It is very likely just a form to complete yourself. Expect to pay a filing fee of $75 to $100. You will have a brief appearance before a judge, where you will swear that your name change is not for the purpose of defrauding anyone.