Can my wife take away my green card if we get a divorce? 5 Answers as of March 30, 2011

I got married 6 years ago, my wife is a citizen and got my green card 6 months ago. Now things are not working out between us. Does she have any right to my green card to be revoked? We got married in India and can we be divorced in u.s.a? What is it I need to do to keep my greencard status? I mean what procedure do I need to follow? I have no idea about immigration laws!

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
If you have the permanent green card (because married more than 2 years when you applied), she cannot get it revoked unless she can prove fraud at the point where you first applied. Sometimes, the US citizen spouse makes threats about this, but it is out of her hands once the permanent green card is issued. If you have further questions, you can reassure yourself by making an appointment for an infopass, using the USCIS website.
If you have already been granted your permanent Green Card (good for 10 years) then you wife cannot take it away from you or have it revoked. You can get divorced in the U.S. based on the law of the state you are residing in.
You have very good questions but the answer is very detailed. Please make an appointment with a competent immigration attorney in your area so you can fully present your case and get a full picture of your own options. A person cannot "take" away your green card. Only the US government can do that!
You can divorce anywhere you want. Yes, you will have a problem with green card because she wouldn't like to remove the condition for you. Work with a lawyer who can find out facts that can support your further petition.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If you already have your green card, your wife can not take it away. You can file for divorce in the USA, in the court closest to your home, even if you got married in India.