Can my wife sponsor me if she has a bad credit and legal history? 4 Answers as of June 13, 2011

My wife has 2 DWI convictions, very bad credit that she's thinking of filing for bankruptcy. She also hasn't paid her taxes for the last couple of years. Can she sponsor me to get a green card? If not, her sister and her husband have a pretty good financial situation, as he works as a professor in a university, can he sponsor me instead?! Thank you

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
Yes. She needs a cosponsor though.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/13/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Yes. Your sister can be your joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/10/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, but she will likely not meet the USCIS income requirement to petition for you. The income requirement is 125% of the HHS poverty guidelines for your family size. She may need to get a joint sponsor to sign a separate I-864 affidavit of support. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/10/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Your wife has to be a the sponsor, but can have co-sponsors such as a sister or brother in law.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: