Can my wife in the Philippines get child support? 9 Answers as of June 02, 2011

Can I file child support for my wife? The problem is she deported to the Philippines. What is the best thing to do? And I just filed for divorce last Feb.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
It sounds like you are asking if the divorce court can require you to pay child support to your wife; the answer is yes - nothing about her being in the Philippines changes your duty to support your child and there is nothing to prevent you from voluntarily paying child support, with or without a court order to do so. If the child is still with you, however, even though she might be obligated to pay child support to you, it may be difficult to enforce that in the Philippines. If you filed for divorce in Feb, the question may be whether the Colo court has any jurisdiction over your wife. That may depend on whether she was deported before or after you filed for divorce and whether or not you have been able to have her served. You need to discuss your exact situation with an attorney to better understand your options and what the court may be able to do.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/2/2011
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
You filed for divorce and she is in the Philippines? and you want to know about child support? This will take some planning, and I need to know what your goals are, what you want to have happen. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/1/2011
Vermeulen Law office P.A.
Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Cynthia J.Vermeulen
The answer to your question depends on a number of factors. You have not provided sufficient information for me to address this question. If you and the child or children live in Minnesota, this state will likely have jurisdiction to address the issue of support.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 6/1/2011
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
Child support can be awarded independent of the location of the payor and payee, though a court will only have jurisdiction to address matters of custody and support if the children meet certain requirements as to residency in the state and county of the court.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/31/2011
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
Under Washington law, if she was served with the divorce action and the court has jurisdiction over her, the court should be able to set child support. Consult with an attorney in your area for more information.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/27/2011
    Komanapalli Massey LLP
    Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
    You can get an order for her to pay child support, the problem is enforcing the order. Will the Philippine courts enforce the order? I think they are members of the Hague Convention, so I think they will. We can help if you wish to retain our firm and are in our area.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    I'm not sure if you are asking if you can be required to pay child support or if you can collect it from your soon to be ex-wife while she lives in the Philippines. Sending her money for the child would be easily written into the divorce decree. Obtaining support from her would be more difficult, and dependent upon whether the Philippines have signed onto the Interstate child support enforcement act. Consult with your local attorney for more information.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
    I think you could get a support order, but collecting on the order from her in the Philippines would be difficult. Stay well.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    In Washington State, the primary parent (e.g., the parent who has the most residential time with the child) typically receives child support wherever the obligated parent is located (caveat-may be some jurisdictional issues).
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: