Can my wife claim my two kids on her taxes? 3 Answers as of January 17, 2013

Me and my wife had a civil ceremony. Can she claim my two children on her taxes?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
U.S. Tax Relief, LLC | Dale Heider
Yes, if she provided at least half their support and they lived with her at least half the time.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/17/2013
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
If you and your wife together provided a majority of the support for the two children, then she can claim them if you agree. Check to be sure that you won't save money by filing a joint return; in most cases that is beneficial. On the other hand, even if you have reasons to file separate returns, you can switch to joint anytime within three yuears of the due date for the returns. Therefore, for example, even if you file separate for 2012, you could switch in early April 2016, to get a refund.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Are you filing jointly? If you are yes (unless someone else is entitled to the exemptions, they only can be claimed by one taxpayer). If you are confused you should see a professional, doing it right the first time with the IRS is paramount, otherwise it can take months or years to straighten it out.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: